Sunday, March 23, 2008

Trying to Buy the World

When you are 22 and have just got a job, your mind is burgeoning with schemes of buying the world with the handful of money you have. I started out with buying a guitar or at least I thought I will make a start by buying a guitar. Also, it was a step towards full-filling my life-long ambition of mastering a musical instrument. The closest that I have got in producing a “musical melody” is honking the horn of my two-wheeler for atleast two minutes (I think this will be appreciated by modernist futurism music advocates :P) for shooing away a herd of goats that once crossed my path. The musician in me was successful in captivating the audience as they stood there in a trance chewing cud. Later I had to call a boy playing nearby to do the honour of shooing them away.
So there I was last Sunday visiting shops in Pune trying to increase the list of my possessions, which by the way includes an old but handsome navy-blue coloured paper bag having a huge golden embossing of the emblem of Indian Air Force. (You-know-who, if you are reading this then kindly note that now the bag is mine and you are not getting it back.) So, anyway coming back on the track I began inspecting various semi-electric guitars with a I-was-born-with-a-guitar-in-my-hand kind of a look. My mind was teeming with questions, so I asked the attendant that why was “this” thing protruding from the base of the guitar? At this my bro turned to me and gave me a blend of please-don’t-ask-what-the-strings-are-for and I-don’t-know-this-creature kind of a look. As it turned out “this” thing is called a pickup of the guitar. So before I asked another question, we were out of the shop and heading to a different shop. After reaching there, I had Eric-Clapton-can-play-better-than-me-so-what-? kind of a look. Judging that my expression had become an inch demure than before, I think my bro didn’t mind me asking another question. This time I played it safe by asking about the price of the instrument. Looking back now I think the attendant was convinced that I did play guitar professionally. I believe my "look" and the fact that I was silent throughout did it. My mission of buying the world encountered a glitch when I had to postpone the acquisition of guitar indefinitely.
Finally, today I decided to download guitar tabs for every Pink Floyd song. I got this file ‘Pink Floyd-Guitar Tab Anthology (Guitar Songbook).rar’…I was already in my day-dreaming mode and was strumming a guitar along David Gilmour at a concert when my reveries were interrupted as I tried to open the file…It was password protected. So, if anybody reading this has the password to it please pass it on to me so that I can Dream On uninterrupted. But this time I think I will give Aerosmith a chance to play along with me ;)

No comments: